Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 20, Tuesday. Three smells that bring back memories

Growing Up in Maryland

Have you ever had a crab steamed in Old Bay?
If I smell it now it can whisk me away,
To the days when I was just a child,
The smell is pungent and just a tad wild,

It reminds me of mother teaching me how to pick the meat,
Out of that hard shell such hard work but Oh what a treat!
The brown paper and mallets covering the tables,
Picking until your fingers are sore and you are unable,

And another smell that comes to remind me of a memory,
is the smell of honeysuckle vines growing around a tree,
As children we would wait for the vines to flower,
And climb up to the tree house and play for hours,

Smelling those flowers all around us in our play,
Made for very good memories to recall today,
And every time I remember that strong smell,
I remember my friends and the tales we would tell,

And the smell of a bakery can catapult me back,
To a time spent with father with the rest of the pack,
Eating Marshmallow donuts to our hearts delight,
That smell can take me there without even a fight,

These are the smells that remind me that I was once a kid,
Of the sights that surrounded me the things that I did,
And I wouldn't take it back for anything in the world,
These smells remind me of what it was like to be a little girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment